Monday, May 27, 2002

There have been some missed opportunities with the voice, but overall in my performing life, I think it would have to be the car accident that pretty much ended my flute playing career. It sounds strange to say, because I love singing and being up on stage - no desire to go back to playing in the pit or anything - but I think this may be it. I was involved in a head on collision on a rainy afternoon after school (teaching) and went into the steering wheel (even though I had the seatbelt on). Swelled the upper lip right up. I tried for 4 months to bring my playing back up to where it was, but with little success. My flute teacher still wishes that I’d come back (its been 7 years), but as I’ve mentioned in another post, I was getting leads in musical theater and loving every minute of it. Things were going fairly well for me before that - playing in pit orchestras for local shows, yearly recitals, playing for several area churches, and the biggie - attending the Flute Seminar at Tanglewood the summer right before my accident. Ever since I started this go around with AW, I’ve been wondering how this incident may be impacting my artistic recovery now. I still want to sing. I don’t know if I need to acknowledge this and go on with my life or if it’s still possible to play (as a hobbyist) and have a real career as a vocalist. (my current teacher is afraid I’ll screw up my lip, so I don’t play at all)

Hmmmmm

No comments: