The Santa Fe audition was ok - no more than that. If nothing else, I’m beginning to be able to *not* freak out about all these auditions - in the past couple of years, I actually avoided doing many of them because of nerves. New York was energizing, as always.
I had a faboo artist’s date: my audition wasn’t until late in the day, so I took myself to the Metropolitain Museum of Art and browsed for the morning. I’ve never been there before, and I loved it!!! I found it to be very relaxing and attribute the relaxed attitude at the audition to a wonderful artist’s date. I also went to eat at La Bonne Soupe after the audition and then hustled my butt down to TKTS and picked up a half priced ticket for Amour, which, sad to say, is closing tomorrow. I loved the show - the music (Michel LeGrand, who also wrote Summer of 42, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, the Yentl score, etc) was wonderful. The whole show was sweet, funny, and a bit quirky - like an off-beat She Loves Me. My SO liked my comparison to a sweet little merangue. Here’s hoping it makes the rounds in regional theaters. I also was on the recieving end of some incredible acting lessons (Malcom Gets for one!) that I will never forget. I wished I could have gone back down to see it one more time, but I’m in rehearsals for Magic Flute right now (and having loads of fun).
Magic Flute: I actually feel pretty good about what I’m doing - of course, Papagena is mostly acting, which we’ve determined to be my greatest strength at the momemt. (I still don’t completely trust the voice or believe everything I hear about it - yet). I’m having great fun burying myself in the old lady - everything is made that much better by a wonderful Papageno: huge talent all around and a supportive colleague to boot. The whole cast is really nice. It feels great to get back in a role rather than just chorus all the time, or back stage work. Not that chorus is bad - I like doing it for a variety of reasons, and can’t see ever hesitating to do chorus in a show under the right circumstances. It’s just all I seem to have been doing. Time to break out of the shell!
Goals:
1. Magic Flute
2. send out remaining apps
3. arias package
4. finally schedule that gosh-darn recital and finish this MM!!!!!
5. set up time to make new audition tape next week.
6. Order MacBeth score for spring chorus gig
And the Winner Is…
1 week ago

No comments:
Post a Comment