Well, I’ve learned a lot about myself in the last two weeks. Mainly that I should get a sub for choir when having a matinee performance with a show the night before. I was whipped, and it showed in the voice. My sweet SO said that the acting was great, and that everyone loved the duet. Ah well - we learn from our mistakes. And I’m learning to take those more in stride.
Magic Flute was tons of fun, well recieved, and I’d do the show again in a heartbeat. Great director, fun cast, all of whom were nice people to work with.
AW activities have been a big help throughout all - mostly the journaling and the blurts this week: I recieved three “Sorry, we don’t have time to hear you” letters this week. Bummer. It’s almost as if the YAP companies want to see a season at the Met before they’ll look at some apps lately - but such is the life of a soprano. Lyric Opera Cleveland sent an especially nice letter -”Please keep us informed of your career developments”. It’s nice to see statements like that every once in a while. Has anyone else made this career work without going the YAP route?
Artist’s Date: not much time for one this week - my grandfather was in the hospital getting a cancerous skin growth removed, and I fell sick the next day. I did rearrange my “Artist’s Altar” - even to the point of digging out my fountain, cleaning it, and adding in the 5 stones that we had to find during that one chapter of Artist’s Way my first go-around with the group. (I wondered what I’d do with them!)
Tiny changes (or not so tiny!): I just finished the basic HTML course through Barnes and Nobles and am putting the final touches on my web site - finally. I really feel I am more open to trying new things because of working through Artist’s Way. I never would have tried an online course before - especially on computer languages. I signed up for another one on “How to Think Like Leonardo DaVinci”, and the text we’re using has similar concepts to “The Artist’s Way”: affirmations, journaling, collaging (Cameron uses this more in her “Vein of Gold” than she does in “Artist’s Way”.) So I’m incorporating some of these activites in with my AW work for the next few weeks.
Synchronicity: traffic was light on the way into the hospital for my grandfather’s surgery. It’s usually pretty bad at that time of the morning, and I was praying I’d get to see him before he was sedated. (and they were running a bit late, so we had plenty of time to talk beforehand.) Oh - and I’m all booked up with sub jobs between now and Thanksgiving - they all came in today. It’ll be nice not to have to worry about 5 am phone calls for the next two weeks!
And the Winner Is…
1 week ago

No comments:
Post a Comment